Home Detox Challenge
June 29, 2018
When we talk Home Detox – where do you even start??
There are actually a few areas to consider when looking into your household’s toxicity. These are Air Quality, Water, Household Cleaners, Laundry, and Light Pollution.
Let’s start with the Air Quality in your home. I’m not just talking about furnace filters or cleaning out air ducts. I’m challenging you (see what I did there?) to consider something called “Off-Gassing”. It’s good to be aware that when you purchase any synthetic materials – whether it’s a couch, mattress, paint, carpet, rugs, etc. – that those synthetic fibers release toxins or “gasses” into your environment. This isn’t to scare you or anything; but it is important to be aware of the fact that the things you buy DO impact the air quality in your home. Some tips to consider when purchasing materials include looking for more natural options; bamboo or cork flooring over engineered hardwoods, real wood over plywood, specific mattress brands, non-treated couch fabric – you know that stain spray you can buy for your new couch – what do you think is in that??
Other things you can consider in your home are listed below:
- Add PLANTS to your home – approximately 1 per 100 square feet can help with improving air quality
- Open your WINDOWS – even if it’s just for a few minutes to an hour a day
- Change FILTERS – consider the brands you purchase
- Invest in SALT LAMPS – these can help with air quality – again, make sure you know what you are buying and make sure they are actual salt lamps and not a knock-off
- DIFFUSE essential oils – this can be ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT things you can do for your home. They add smell, but also have benefits depending on the specific oil used. Oils can be diffused to purify the air, reduce mold and fungus (like in your basement), contribute to relaxation or focus, improve your mood, boost your immune system. If you have any questions on which oils do which specific thing – SUBSCRIBE or COMMENT below!! I am so happy to help guide you in your oil choices!! *Disclaimer – I specifically use and recommend Young Living Essential Oils due to their Seed to Seal guarantee (www.seedtoseal.com). Young Living also constantly tests for purity in their oils not only IN THEIR OWN LABS (this is uncommon guys), but also they use third party labs. It’s the extra step, above and beyond.
It’s important to know what you are ingesting and bathing in daily. If you live in the city, city water contains a variety of chemicals including chlorine, flouride, and can also contain lead, copper, hormones, nitrates, and pesticides. Most of this is because they NEED to treat water so we don’t get sick, but we need to take it upon ourselves to see what’s in our water. I suggest you educate yourself on the water quality in YOUR area by searching it on the internet. Each city has a water quality report that is typically published on the government website – check yours out. Also, just because something “meets the standard” quality of water – it might not meet YOUR standard of quality. So think about that – it is up to you!!
What can you do?? Here are some ideas:
- Install a house-wide reverse osmosis system or another purification system.
- Buy something like a BERKEY countertop water filter. Like this:
- Put SHOWER FILTERS on your shower heads. These are really inexpensive and make a huge difference in the water quality I use every day in my house.
So, maybe you’re thinking that you should just drink bottled water, but you guys, that is NOT a solution! First of all, you will be contributing to the enormous plastic issue we have in this world, PLUS you are INGESTING who knows what from those plastic bottles. That is not good for you. I’m just gonna lay it out there.
Also, I like to ingest oils in my water – which is completely safe when using the Young Living Vitality oil line (labeled for consumption by the FDA) BUT you need to use GLASS or STAINLESS STEEL bottles when ingesting oils. Otherwise the oils can draw toxins out of the plastic and put them into your body. Try one of these:
This should be a no-brainer. If it smells so strong you need to hold your breath or open the window (like I used to do), then it’s obviously HORRIBLE for you! Try some of my DIY cleaners here. Or use a plant-based cleaner like Thieves from Young Living. These are not only MUCH safer for you and your family, but they are also much safer for the environment and you will be getting less junk into the ground water (see Water Quality above). Ever since I have changed my household cleaners, I can’t hardly walk past them in the store – they are SO toxic to my poor lungs!!
Your laundry is touching your skin ALL.DAY.LONG. Well, probably, or you would maybe have been arrested by now. You need to be aware of what your laundry detergent has in it and also what is in scented dryer products. First of all Fragrance is BAD NEWS. It is now being called the “New Secondhand Smoke” – that is how terrible it is for your lungs. Fragrances also contribute to developmental delays, cancers, and brain, lung, and nervous system dysfunction. Also, laundry soap is typically blue. Have you noticed that? That is because there is a chemical in the soap that is blue that was developed to stick that blue onto your clothes so that your clothes look better under florescent lights. Seriously. It is intentional to leave blue goo behind onto your skin. Since it’s a synthetically made chemical, it does not evaporate and not only sits on your skin, but it absorbs back into your skin causing potential allergic reactions, respiratory issues, hormonal issues, and cancer. Why put your body through that???
Dryer sheets. Those puppies are FULL of fragrance and chemicals that are heated, so they not only sit on your clothes and basically poison you, but they are also heated and flung throughout your entire house (and the neighborhood) when the dryer is on. That there is cancer causing, folks. Sure, they work great to reduce static, but at what cost. You can just as easily use wool dryer balls (my friend makes some for ETSY from his very own sheep here) with a drop of essential oil on it to scent your clothing AND roll up some aluminum foil. That takes care of the static – and the foil balls last a LONG time. I personally live with the static. It’s not a big problem for me most of the time – just a small irritation.
I am talking blue light here. Like the light from your tablet, iPad, phone, computer, tv. This light stops you from sleeping at night and has an extremely negative effect on your sleep patterns and brain function. I have found that I have trouble sleeping at night if I use my iPad less than an hour before I sleep. So, I tend to shut all electronics off an hour before I go to bed and start my bedtime ritual. I drink my MegaCal (magnesium/calcium) supplement, diffuse Lavender, wash my face, brush my teeth, take out my contacts, meditate, rub Lavender on my feet, put Cedarwood on my third eye area or back of neck, and read an actual book.
So there, not too scary, right? Take it one step at a time. Pick one thing you can do this week and do it. Maybe you buy some more plants. Maybe you get 1 shower filter. Just START something. Do another thing next week, and so on.
I would LOVE to hear how you are doing!!! Please comment below and let me know!